beef & broccoli*

It is no secret my love for Chinese food. I found the perfect location in my new hometown of Spanish Fork to lease that would be ideal for a Panda Express. I told my hubby that we are going to be franchisees. Although he isn't a Chinese food fanatic like me, he agrees that this would be a great business venture. Now, who wants to be my financial lender? Any takers?? I'm sure I would only need a couple million :). Ok, maybe only in my dreams...

This broccoli beef is so good it is crazy! I have never used baking soda in a marinade before, and I am not sure if my reasoning is correct, but I like to believe that it is used to tenderize the beef. If that is not it's purpose, something in that marinade surely is doing the trick because this beef will melt in your mouth! I just love this dish and think that I need to sneak it into the husbands diet somehow so that I can eat it more often. Any ideas of how to accomplish this are definitely welcome!


Beef & Broccoli
from Rainy Day Gal

First, marinate the meat:

1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp water
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 lbs flank steak, sliced into thin strips

Whisk together the baking soda, sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, water, and vegetable oil in a large bowl. Toss the steak with the marinade to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour, then proceed below.


1/2 c low-sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp sherry
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 heads broccoli, crowns only

In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, flour and sherry until smooth. Set aside.


In a large wok or saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil over high heat until shimmering. Add broccoli and saute 3 minutes, stirring often. Transfer broccoli to a plate.


Carefully add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the hot pan. Add the marinated meat and half of the sauce mixture and saute for 3-4 minutes, stirring often, until the meat is cooked through and no longer pink. Stir in the broccoli and remaining sauce. Saute 1 minute more. Serve.


-alyssa*

0 comments:

Post a Comment