orange waffles with buttermilk syrup*

March Madness. I LOVE March Madness. I just finished watching the tail end of the BYU game. Sorry for all those die-hard BYUers out there, but it worked out good for my bracket :). I am not a huge BYU fan, but they are from Utah so when someone from Utah is doing well - I will back them 100%. Otherwise, they are dead to me. JUST KIDDING! I am currently watching the Jazz. I think I am in the minority when it comes to watching the Jazz these days. Those guys just do not know what they are doing anymore. Oh well, I still love them.

These waffles are AMAZING. My sister-in-law Andrea made them on our weekend at the cabin. I love citrusy, orangy, lemony things - so these waffles were right up my alley. And the syrup. OH the syrup! I could probably drink it plain. Seriously it is THAT good!


Orange Waffles with Buttermilk Syrup
from the Worldwide Ward Cookbook

6 egg, separated
1/2 tsp. salt
6 oz. orange juice concentrate, thawed
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
3 1/4 cup flour
3 cups milk


Buttermilk Syrup

1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp. baking soda
2 cups sugar
3 Tbsp. white corn syrup
2 tsp. vanilla


Waffles:
In one bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.


In a separate bowl, mix egg yolks, salt, orange juice, butter and sugar. Beat until smooth. Alternate adding flour and milk. Fold egg whites into batter.


Bake in waffle iron. Serves 5.


Syrup:
In a 6-quart saucepan, combine all ingredients except vanilla; boil for 5 minutes. Add vanilla. Serve on pancakes or over ice cream. (Double this recipe for a family of five). Using a 6-quart saucepan is important because it froths a lot while cooking.


SO GOOD! And so easy too. I was shocked that it was only orange juice concentrate in there! I always have that on hand for my orange julius' that I just have to have from time to time!

Oh my gosh I almost forgot!! Look at these CUTE cupcakes some of the kids made all of us in the kitchen!



They are the cutest things, and delicious, too! It's little things like this that make our jobs worthwhile :). THANKS to everyone that was involved in making these! We absolutely love them!

-alyssa*

0 comments:

Post a Comment